Chicken Pot Pie with Sour Cream Pastry
This flavorful chicken pie is packed with chicken, artichokes, mushrooms, and other vegetables.
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 8 ounces cold butter (2 sticks), cut in 1/2-inch pieces
· 5 tablespoons sour cream
· dash salt
· 4 cups cooked chicken, cut in 1-inch pieces
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
· 2 carrots, thinly sliced
· 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
· 1 to 1 1/2 cup chopped cooked artichoke hearts
· 4 tablespoons butter
· 4 tablespoons flour
· 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
· 1/2 cup heavy cream
· salt and pepper, to taste
· 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
· 1 egg
· 3 teaspoons milk or cream
In a food processor, combine pastry ingredients; pulse until the mixture pulls together and forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
In a skillet, sauté the sliced mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender and light brown.
In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add carrots and celery; cover and cook for about 12 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Drain well. Combine the chicken with cooked mushrooms and drained vegetables. Add the cooked chopped artichokes to the mixture.
Lightly butter an 11x7-inch baking dish. Arrange chicken and vegetables in the dish. Cover and refrigerate while you prepare the sauce.
Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan. When butter is foamy, whisk in the flour. Slowly add the chicken broth. Continue cooking, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Add heavy cream and parsley; heat through. Taste and add salt and pepper.
Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken mixture. Roll pastry out to a 10 x 14-inch rectangle. Fit over top of baking dish. Crimp edges. With a sharp knife, cut small slits all over the pastry.
Whisk egg with the 3 teaspoons milk or cream; brush over the pastry. Bake at 375° for about 40 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
An easy chicken pie recipe, made with mixed vegetables, diced chicken, chicken gravy, cheese, and herbed biscuit mix topping.
· 16 ounces (2 to 2 1/2 cups) frozen peas and carrots
· 1 1/2 cups diced chicken
· 1 jar (12 ounces) chicken gravy (or 1 1/2 to 2 cups prepared chicken gravy)
· 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
· 1 cup biscuit baking mix
· 1/4 cup milk
· 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
· 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
· 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
· 2 eggs
Heat oven to 375°.
Combine the frozen peas and carrots, chicken, and gravy in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Keep mixture warm over very low heat while making crust.
In a bowl, combine the grated cheese, baking mix, milk, herbs, and eggs. Stir with a fork until blended. Pour the warm chicken mixture into an ungreased 2-quart baking dish. Pour herb batter over the chicken mixture.
Bake in 375° oven for about 35 minutes, until crust is browned and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
Makes about 6 servings.
Chicken pie with dumpling topping.
· 1/4 cup chopped onion
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 1 cup milk
· 1/2 cup flour
· 1 package frozen peas and carrots or mixed vegetables, cooked and drained
· 3 cups chicken broth, heated
· 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
· salt, to taste
· 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
· 4 cups diced cooked chicken
· 1 1/2 cups biscuit mix
· 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
· 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
· 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley, crumbled
· 1/3 cup chicken broth, warmed
· 1 tablespoon milk
Sauté the onion in butter over medium-low heat until tender. Blend 1 cup milk with 1/2 cup flour until smooth; add to onion mixture with vegetables, 3 cups broth, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Add salt, to taste. Gently stir in hard-cooked eggs and chicken. Pour mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Place in a preheated 350° oven while making dumplings. In a bowl, combine the dumpling ingredients; pat out about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into strips. Remove chicken mixture from the oven and increase oven temperature to 425°. Arrange dumplings over the chicken mixture. Return to oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until nicely browned.